Friday 25 December 2009

Right attitude of would be interpreters

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you looking for a qualified and experienced Bengali / Sylheti
Interpreter ? An Interpreter with thousands of hours of experience
working at Courts, Police Stations, Solicitors' offices, Hospitals,
Prisons, Probation office,Home office, Film makers etc ?Interpreter
with very flexible attitude,willing to travel and accept jobs at short
notice and whose rates are very reasonable ?

Or do you need to translate a document in Bengali in to English or vice versa
at a short notice?

How about Transcription? Got a recording in Bengali that you want transcribed in to English? You have come to the right place.
Contact me Mohammad Choudhury on 07832371577 or email me at mognichoudhury@yahoo.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As an interpreter I get to know very intimate details of a person or a family.But of course I am bound by the code of confidentaility.So I can not divulge anything to any third party.But I suppose if I were inclined to write fictions (story or book)these experiences could give me a lot of ideas to create plots for my stories.

Certainly working as an interpreter is a very enriching experience.Life is really very interesting and real life is really more interesting than works of fictions.

Through this blog I also come in to contact with different kinds of people.Today I want to talk about one particular type that I come into contact with.These people bump into my blog and it intrigues them and they fancy having a go at interpreting. They want to become an interpreter.Nothing wrong with that so far.But problem starts when they think that since they can speak Bengali and English, they can become Bengali interpreters.They ask me to guide them or give them some information or give them some job.
But remember that is not the only criteria to qualify to work as a Bengali Interpreter (or interpreter of any language for that matter). If that was all that was required, then almost everybody would be an interpreter ! Please think a little. You need a bit more than that. You need some qualifications.Now a days any agency you want to work with would ask you for some interpreting qualifications. And courts would not accept you if you do not hold DPSI and/or if you are not NRPSI register.Some interpreters have got into trouble by accepting double booking and sending friends to one of the bookings.What happened, was that the friend could not read Bengali.So when they were asked to read a Bengali document and do a sight translation, they got stuck.Then the truth came out.The friend delegating the work got in to serious trouble.Got prosecuted and sent to prison I believe.So at least you can see that on top of the ability to speak the languages, you also at least need to be able to read them.
And delegating work like that is also against the ethics.There are a whole lot of codes you need to follow.So do not think it is easy or a casual business. It is serious and you need to be prepared and have the right attitudes and qualifications.

Still interested? Good. If you are still reading then you are the right type and I can certainly guide you the right way and give you helpful information. If you are the serious type, I do not mind helping you as much possible.You are welcome to contact me.Drop me line.( you have got my email at the top of this post) or call me.Again my number is displayed at the top.I wish you best of luck.And a very very happy and prosperous new year.

No comments:

Followers